Audacity - the best free audio editor
Visit official website
It is one of the best free audio editing software and good software when you start learning.
- It is free
- It comes as a multi-track audio recording and editing tool
- Lite weight
- Cross platform - works on Windows, Linux and Mac
- Easy to use
- Not comes with best of features, like adding effects and automation
- Not as intuitive for complex editing.
- The GUI design needs improvement.
Audacity Vs others
- Energy XT - is one of the best cheap MIDI capable DAW.
- Fl studio - started out as a simple drum machine and evolved into a complete monstor for music production. Can do everything right from MIDI to Audio. But it is mainly geared towards MIDI so if you do a lot of audio recording then look elsewhere. It is a better option that Reason because it can do audio stuff nicely.
- Logic pro - one stop solution, very expensive does everything related to music production under the sun.
- Adobe audition - one of the lesser used DAWs out there, MIDI support is minimal. Good for creating loops and podcasting type of stuff. Not so great for other things.
- Reaper a small and robust DAW that can do everything but does not comes with lots of samples or presets. Is comparatively cheaper and bang for the buck.
- Ardour is developed by School of Audio Engineering as an open source DAW to rival pro-tools. It is still in developmental stages and has to go a long way.