Sonar - the popular sound making app
Sonar is popular DAW amongst the TV and professional movie makers. It offers good functionality and not very heavy on the pocket as compared to Logic and Pro tools.
It is very similar to Cubase and offers some good music making programs. Definitely one of the best programs out there.
Sonar is for you if...
Sonar is for you if you do both Audio recording and little bit of MIDI. It is slightly expensive as compared to other music programs and very popular one.
It however has a learning curve and definately not one of the easiest software that you will find for music making.
Alternatives for making music on the computer>
- Energy XT - is one of the best cheap MIDI capable DAW.
- Fl studio - started out as a simple drum machine and evolved into a complete monstor for music production. Can do everything right from MIDI to Audio. But it is mainly geared towards MIDI so if you do a lot of audio recording then look elsewhere. It is a better option that Reason because it can do audio stuff nicely.
- Logic pro - one stop solution, very expensive does everything related to music production under the sun.
- Adobe audition - one of the lesser used DAWs out there, MIDI support is minimal. Good for creating loops and podcasting type of stuff. Not so great for other things.
- Reaper a small and robust DAW that can do everything but does not comes with lots of samples or presets. Is comparatively cheaper and bang for the buck.
- Ardour is developed by School of Audio Engineering as an open source DAW to rival pro-tools. It is still in developmental stages and has to go a long way.